Oswald Bruner

Oswald's Suggestion for a Research Department Overhaul

SCP-RP Research Format - Foundation Test Logs - Gaminglight Forums - GMod  Community

Basic Summary/Overview of my Suggestion:
Whitelisting Senior Researcher
Senior Researcher slot reduction by two
Junior Researcher slot increase by two
Promoting RP from your own imagination
Adding more interest into foundation RP
Research Discord
(The details will be explained down below in their relative preview sections)

Quick Disclaimers

While "Promoting RP from your own imagination" may spell PME disasters, check the last page before jumping to conclusions.

"Junior Researcher slot increase? You mean more minges? No thanks."
WRONG.
You see, while Junior Researcher gained two slots, Senior Researcher lost two, and it also became whitelisted. So the total capacity and number of minges actually decreases, contrary to what it may seem like on the surface, and we all know there are tons of Senior Researcher minges.

Before we get into the meat and potatoes of this suggestion, let me give you a simple observation and food for thought.
All too often on this server and real life, suggestions get thrown out because they aren't perfect. 
They have good parts to them, but some bad parts as well. Those bad parts cause the suggestion to get thrown out as a whole. When in fact, on the very bottom line, some aspects of it are an IMPROVEMENT and would be SUPERIOR to the current way something works.
Why everything gets tossed, instead of only certain aspects being kept, and coming to a mutual compromise that generally makes an improvement is a question left unanswered. If the good tid bits of every suggestion are accepted, over time we will have many great things.

Anyways, It's SUGGESTION TIMEEEEEE.

(Also if you took this message as sly or think it meant to take a stab at you, please know that was not the intention of the message, and I hope you don't take it that way)

Whitelisting Senior Researcher

Senior Researcher would be a two-way entry WL. You could apply on forums, or get invited (promoted would be a better depiction of how it would work) from Junior Researcher. After doing well enough as a Senior Researcher you could be promoted to Head Researcher. Senior Researcher would keep the same power that they do now, but it would just add more structure. With Senior Researcher becoming WL, Junior Researchers could help out Senior Researchers and possibly ask permission from Senior Researchers for certain things as opposed to having to ask an HR, which isn't always on-site. Also, I personally believe having Senior Researcher be a low activity requirement job would function best for it. Not as loose as HoMD, obviously, but more lax than other jobs. Additionally, similar to how HRs can specialize in certain departments, Senior Researchers should be given opportunities to do RP with different research departments to see what they like best, and what they would like to do as an HR.

I just want to give a few more details on the forum application for Senior Researcher real quick.
Okay so on EP applications they have you submit an event idea, I was thinking Senior Researcher WL applications could have a research project idea section, or you could give an example of you getting creative with research (proof required, just a typed out document from the F4 menu won't cut it) This would help with gauging how creative or inventive a person is when it comes to research, to see if they would make a good fit in HR or not.

Senior Researcher slot reduction by two

To be honest this isn't really necessary, it would just prevent certain situations. Although I doubt it would reach full capacity on a frequent basis, having 8 WL researchers actively doing RP would be very chaotic and could spiral into PME with ease. No matter how fun it may be.

Junior Researcher slot increase by two

With the decreased slots of Senior Researcher and it becoming WLd, Junior Researcher would need a slot increase to allow players who simply want to test on SCPs using Class D to be able to do so.

Promoting RP from your own imagination

MEANING that Senior Researchers would be able to ask in the discord server or channel for permission to do their own RP, without a high-ranking staff needing to be actively on the server to give the go ahead.

Adding more interest into foundation RP

Increase in players being able to do their own RP, more foundation RP interest. Simple as.

Research Discord

Just sorta officiating a research discord server. With the major influx of players being WL for Senior Researcher, it would be much easier to manage everything if there was a separate discord server. It would also allow full freedom for adding whatever kinds of channels are needed. Of course players would still have their senior/head researcher roles in the main discord. HRs would always have access to Senior Researcher, duh.

If you remember, SR was already WL for 2 months roughly a year ago, and it was mostly inactive, because only a tiny fraction of players actually want to do ResearchRP (which is why the majority of researchers are new players).

It failed then, why wouldn't it fail this time?

Sure

+1

Current Ranks: 

MTF A-1 Agent | CI Reserve Manager | MTF E-11 Agent | HoEA | SCP Staff

Past Ranks:

SCP Moderator | MTF E-11 Commander | UIU Agent | CI Delta | HoEA  | MC&D Salesman |  Nu-7 SGT | GM SOF Colonel | Medic  x2  | 501st SOF Colonel

I can't comprehend how this would change anything. Limiting the jobs people can play freely does nothing but limit the amount of new players who will try out the job. 

People have come up with so many way to try and "fix" HR and the research department but their is no actual change change that has ever or will ever be able to breathe life into it. The only way it can be "Fixed" is internally with it all being player driven fostering that environment. If the change isn't led by the players then nothing will change and any other attempts to try and change that would just be giving CPR to a corpse.  

(There are a few cool HR's/SR's who do interesting RP but they are not active or abundant enough to make any real dent.)

I am here to launder money

Spoiler
12 hours ago, Randy Walters said:

If you remember, SR was already WL for 2 months roughly a year ago, and it was mostly inactive, because only a tiny fraction of players actually want to do ResearchRP (which is why the majority of researchers are new players).

It failed then, why wouldn't it fail this time?

I never knew that SR was whitelisted ever, and I can understand where you're coming from in saying that it failed back then because not many people wanted to do ResearchRP.

With my suggested change, it would be easier than ever to ask for permission to do research from your own imagination. Also, seeing as every member of the event team is a Head Researcher, and Plague is the HR Job Manager, they could come up with their own events that can be based around research, or fabricate new situations and things to research. Naturally, after enough events people will get into a "groove" for research, and the job could be consistently active.

Spoiler

5 hours ago, Nathan Kennedy said:

I can't comprehend how this would change anything. Limiting the jobs people can play freely does nothing but limit the amount of new players who will try out the job. 

People have come up with so many way to try and "fix" HR and the research department but their is no actual change change that has ever or will ever be able to breathe life into it. The only way it can be "Fixed" is internally with it all being player driven fostering that environment. If the change isn't led by the players then nothing will change and any other attempts to try and change that would just be giving CPR to a corpse.  

(There are a few cool HR's/SR's who do interesting RP but they are not active or abundant enough to make any real dent.)

"I can't comprehend how this would change anything. Limiting the jobs people can play freely does nothing but limit the amount of new players who will try out the job."

Two things: Junior Researcher slot increase, and research is never really filled to begin with. If you're concerned with powers and people not being able to do things:
image.png.2241259d7014e43db8e2b8d0bd3ff275.png

"People have come up with so many way to try and "fix" HR and the research department but their is no actual change change that has ever or will ever be able to breathe life into it. The only way it can be "Fixed" is internally with it all being player driven fostering that environment. If the change isn't led by the players then nothing will change and any other attempts to try and change that would just be giving CPR to a corpse."

See above

26 minutes ago, Oswald Bruner said:

-snip-

My point is that no change will make RP more or less likely to happen. All of the resources to complete Research RP are there and present it is just up to the people to use them. 

26 minutes ago, Oswald Bruner said:

I never knew that SR was whitelisted ever, and I can understand where you're coming from in saying that it failed back then because not many people wanted to do ResearchRP.

If people wanted to Research RP more now than they did then a suggestion wouldn't be needed. The research department doesn't need to be a whitelisted hierarchy it just needs people in it to roleplay.  

I mean just look at any time research department has been reformed or any other dying job for that matter.. Like the amount of time Sarkics has been tried and died is shocking with each new naive person thinking they can suggest it again and it be different. Or when Church was last in the server the amount of different owner who tried to do stuff with the job and each time it would just turn to TDM. The list goes on and on, these changes won't do anything to make the job any better than it can already be.

Like I said previously only player driven activity will change anything.

The only idea that could be alr would be a discord for everyone to join for better communication and stuff. (last time it was added it being deleted was enough to get a person permabanned but obviously not important enough to get remade? 😐) +1

Edited by Nathan Kennedy

I am here to launder money

Just RP, fuck power structure, fuck whitelisting, fuck all of that. The only problem with research is a lack of imagination.

Research has an endless amount of content on the wiki, you don't need to write another brain fucking numbing report of the same 6 SCPs, just read a tale or two and go ham with new ideas. 

People always more focused on getting permission then actually doing stuff. 

chrome_7H3a7Ltrjc.png

Denied

Nathan Kennedy and Gordon Black summed things up well. SR was WLed for a period last year and it was completely inactive.

You cannot "Fix" Research RP by locking it behind a WL. Researchers are free to do pretty much whatever research they want as long as it doesn't become a PME (E.G: Doing something like "Researching" a pill that let's them know the names of every CI or let's them read minds or anything else that becomes powergame) and are actively encouraged to come up with more creative and outside the box ways of researching, even crosstesting is permitted with Site Admin permission/O5 permission depending on what SCPs are involved. Newer players "Feeding" SCPs while on Research jobs is also not a concern as these are new players wanting to see what the SCPs can do to people, I did the exact same thing when I was new to the server and I'm sure a lot of other people did too.

I'd also like to state that the new map should help SCP related research RP as some of the containment chambers have been updated to allow safe interaction with SCPs (457, 1048) or in 049s case have been massively expanded and D Block has been updated to allow easier retrieval of D Class from it.

A Research Discord may be remade or a section added to the O5 Discord for ease of communication between Researchers.