Exiled

Update on Intercom System

Your idea:
Expanded Intercom System

Details about your idea:
With "Expanded" I think we should add a function to the Server Foundation System which allows Clearance 4+ (or) Site Administration only and Server Hacks to access a so called "Verbal Intercom" that'll allow the responsible individual being in use of the System to verbally communicate over the entire Site.
As I noticed that this could be abused quite quickly it should be restricted to Site Administration jobs and as said Server Hacks. By this addition you can (verbally) speak out a message because in difficult situtations no one looks at the Chat to read instructions, there is a non-verbal system in which you can type tho as said sometimes these instructions get ignored. Possibly if this gets considered you could also allow these "Intercom" Messages to be restricted to specific areas, such as LCZ, HCZ, EZ and Site-Wide. There should also be a rule to go with it that forbids people like Site Advisers to minge with this ability.

Is this really necessary? No. In fact this is only a addition that'd make stuff more interesting. I've seen a SCP RP Server that holds such function and it is quite cool when the Site Director announces a Site-Wide Event.

I wouldn't see a addon that brings this ability with it. Maybe it is able to be coded into the already existing Foundation Server System. I also suggest a few sound ideas that'll go along with it.

How it will work

You will 1st (as a CL 4+ or Site Administration Job) go to the Server Room and access the Servers and select the "Verbal Intercom" Selection, then upon selecting it, you select the Area (LCZ, HCZ, EZ and Site-Wide options) after selecting the area that you require you will start the intercom upon pressing your Push to Talk button which would start the INTERCOM START SOUND and after the Sound you may proceed announcing your message, once you are done you stop pressing X and the INTERCOM STOP SOUND will play which will also stop the Announcement. Additionally a 300 Seconds Cooldown to avoid spam.

Intercom Start sound
(The Intercom Start sound will spread awareness of an announcement across the site)

Intercom Stop Sound
(The Intercom Stop sound will spread awareness that the Announcement has ended)

Edited by Exiled

🔱Josh Nixon🔱
Director Nixon<

20 minutes ago, Mark Kuntson said:

If it is restricted to like SD/O5 some sort of global voice chat via the Foundation Server can work sure

Would work too, aslong as trusted (=Whitelisted) jobs could do so.

🔱Josh Nixon🔱
Director Nixon<

As far as I know, this has a 0 chance of being added.

The issue is that in GMod anything that has to do with Voice takes quiet abit of performance.
For context: even the Gag command for Staff has been removed due to this, so if not even a Staff command is important enougth for the performance loss, I do not think this will be.

44 minutes ago, Maurice D Biggs said:

As far as I know, this has a 0 chance of being added.

The issue is that in GMod anything that has to do with Voice takes quiet abit of performance.
For context: even the Gag command for Staff has been removed due to this, so if not even a Staff command is important enougth for the performance loss, I do not think this will be.

LIke I said, I have seen this work on SCP Servers before. Not sure if it was server-wide tho.

🔱Josh Nixon🔱
Director Nixon<

14 hours ago, Exiled said:

LIke I said, I have seen this work on SCP Servers before. Not sure if it was server-wide tho.

You do seem to forget you're playing on Werwolf SCP-RP, where even just a bunch of NPC's being spawned is capable of crashing the server. Hence why many features and functions like wire, e2, gag command for staff have been removed to try to better enhance the server

Edited by Joe Conner

Scprp is bad, run while you can!!
Good Night GIFDog Morning GIF
seal GIF

• SCP-RP Current Ranks: PlatVIPSCP-RP Administrator, Junior Developer, MTF Nu-7 NCO, Head Of Manufacturing Department (Owner), Head of External Affairs, Site Director, The Serpents Hand (Vice-Manager)

• SCP-RP Past Ranks:   Organization for the Reclamation of Islamic Artifacts, Sarkic Cultist, Marshall Carter N' Dark Salesman, Ethics Committee Member, Epsilon-11 Commander, Unusual Incidents Unit Special Agent in Charge (Vice-Manager), GRU-P, Head Researcher, Internal Security Department, SCP-096

• HLRP Past Ranks:  Civil Industrial Union Journeyman, Civil Medical Union Nurse

• CW-RP  Past Ranks: PlatVIP, Combat Engineer COL, Adv Medic
1 hour ago, Joe Conner said:

You do seem to forget you're playing on Werwolf SCP-RP, where even just a bunch of NPC's being spawned is capable of crashing the server. Hence why many features and functions like wire, e2, gag command for staff have been removed to try to better enhance the server

Wouldn't see how a voice addon would crash the server. I am more then aware that these servers arent stable by the simple fact that we are playing on Garry's Mod. Servers tend to crash more in regards of props, dupes and enhancements to building rather then a voice command.

🔱Josh Nixon🔱
Director Nixon<

If you want an explanation why its performance I can give you it:

So the way GMod Deals with Voice Chat in regards to who can hear who is the following: https://wiki.facepunch.com/gmod/GM:PlayerCanHearPlayersVoice

This is a hook called with 2 parameters, the listener and the talker, this is called every tick for every possible combination.

So you calculate the amount of times this is called the following way:  timesCalled =  PlayerCount * PlayerTalking

So in the worst case this is called PlayerCount² times, EVERY TICK ( aka every frame).

For an intercom system this would need to check if:

A: If the Talker is the player using the intercom

B: If the Listener is inside the Foundation, which would require doing vector calculations based on the Position of the Player.

While this is an oversimplication and could ofc be optimized ......... it still shows how these things get really expensive performance wise fast.

And even the GMod wiki says that the code inside this Hook needs to be efficent, due to the amount of times called.

(And the server doesn't need to crash for it to be bad, the less performant the server is the easier it gets lagged out by props,constraints,etc)

3 hours ago, Maurice D Biggs said:

If you want an explanation why its performance I can give you it:

So the way GMod Deals with Voice Chat in regards to who can hear who is the following: https://wiki.facepunch.com/gmod/GM:PlayerCanHearPlayersVoice

This is a hook called with 2 parameters, the listener and the talker, this is called every tick for every possible combination.

So you calculate the amount of times this is called the following way:  timesCalled =  PlayerCount * PlayerTalking

So in the worst case this is called PlayerCount² times, EVERY TICK ( aka every frame).

For an intercom system this would need to check if:

A: If the Talker is the player using the intercom

B: If the Listener is inside the Foundation, which would require doing vector calculations based on the Position of the Player.

While this is an oversimplication and could ofc be optimized ......... it still shows how these things get really expensive performance wise fast.

And even the GMod wiki says that the code inside this Hook needs to be efficent, due to the amount of times called.

(And the server doesn't need to crash for it to be bad, the less performant the server is the easier it gets lagged out by props,constraints,etc)

Fair enough. I'll wait for a SMT/Developers response regardless. If this really impacts Server Performance then the time the Intercom should run should be limited to 60 seconds which then is followed by its 10 minute cooldown

🔱Josh Nixon🔱
Director Nixon<

Even if this hypothetically did work perfectly and had no significant effect on the server I would still not want this added. I would not trust many SDs or HOEAs with this. It would be used for nonessential information or people trying to be funny and saying something they think is funny over the comms. I wouldn't even trust O5s with this.

There aren't many cases where you would need a comms system like this. This would leave it empty most of the time so administration would start using it for lesser and lesser important things. 

I don't know about you but I would rather not get a voice in my ear every 10 minutes telling me there is a hack at MT. (Ive already got enough people in my walls). 

Even for the important stuff like a nuke going off or something I don't really need someone shouting down my ear when they can just put a message in comms.

I am here to launder money

On 7/17/2021 at 11:48 AM, Nathan Kennedy said:

Even if this hypothetically did work perfectly and had no significant effect on the server I would still not want this added. I would not trust many SDs or HOEAs with this. It would be used for nonessential information or people trying to be funny and saying something they think is funny over the comms. I wouldn't even trust O5s with this.

There aren't many cases where you would need a comms system like this. This would leave it empty most of the time so administration would start using it for lesser and lesser important things. 

I don't know about you but I would rather not get a voice in my ear every 10 minutes telling me there is a hack at MT. (Ive already got enough people in my walls). 

Even for the important stuff like a nuke going off or something I don't really need someone shouting down my ear when they can just put a message in comms.

O5-11: Guy's make sure to tell xxxxx he's dumb and it's his birthday!

seal GIF

• SCP-RP Current Ranks: PlatVIPSCP-RP Administrator, Junior Developer, MTF Nu-7 NCO, Head Of Manufacturing Department (Owner), Head of External Affairs, Site Director, The Serpents Hand (Vice-Manager)

• SCP-RP Past Ranks:   Organization for the Reclamation of Islamic Artifacts, Sarkic Cultist, Marshall Carter N' Dark Salesman, Ethics Committee Member, Epsilon-11 Commander, Unusual Incidents Unit Special Agent in Charge (Vice-Manager), GRU-P, Head Researcher, Internal Security Department, SCP-096

• HLRP Past Ranks:  Civil Industrial Union Journeyman, Civil Medical Union Nurse

On 7/21/2021 at 1:48 PM, Joe Conner said:

O5-11: Guy's make sure to tell xxxxx he's dumb and it's his birthday!

Sounds like something I'd do.

As for the suggestion uhhh

What nathan said, -1.

just punch through his fucking head

Maybe a pre-played sound file that voiced professionally (Maybe Oli or anyone with a great voice) that can played down the comms system. That be triggered with a / (slash) command only for Site Admins, that also has a cooldown timer so it can't be abused.

We already have that with the "Pizza day" announcement. 

That could be an acceptable balance.

(Is it worth the effort tho? Nah.)

Edited by Avery Winters

uwu

On 7/14/2021 at 9:28 AM, Exiled said:

Your idea:
Expanded Intercom System

Details about your idea:
With "Expanded" I think we should add a function to the Server Foundation System which allows Clearance 4+ (or) Site Administration only and Server Hacks to access a so called "Verbal Intercom" that'll allow the responsible individual being in use of the System to verbally communicate over the entire Site.
As I noticed that this could be abused quite quickly it should be restricted to Site Administration jobs and as said Server Hacks. By this addition you can (verbally) speak out a message because in difficult situtations no one looks at the Chat to read instructions, there is a non-verbal system in which you can type tho as said sometimes these instructions get ignored. Possibly if this gets considered you could also allow these "Intercom" Messages to be restricted to specific areas, such as LCZ, HCZ, EZ and Site-Wide. There should also be a rule to go with it that forbids people like Site Advisers to minge with this ability.

Is this really necessary? No. In fact this is only a addition that'd make stuff more interesting. I've seen a SCP RP Server that holds such function and it is quite cool when the Site Director announces a Site-Wide Event.

I wouldn't see a addon that brings this ability with it. Maybe it is able to be coded into the already existing Foundation Server System. I also suggest a few sound ideas that'll go along with it.

How it will work

You will 1st (as a CL 4+ or Site Administration Job) go to the Server Room and access the Servers and select the "Verbal Intercom" Selection, then upon selecting it, you select the Area (LCZ, HCZ, EZ and Site-Wide options) after selecting the area that you require you will start the intercom upon pressing your Push to Talk button which would start the INTERCOM START SOUND and after the Sound you may proceed announcing your message, once you are done you stop pressing X and the INTERCOM STOP SOUND will play which will also stop the Announcement. Additionally a 300 Seconds Cooldown to avoid spam.

Intercom Start sound
(The Intercom Start sound will spread awareness of an announcement across the site)

Intercom Stop Sound
(The Intercom Stop sound will spread awareness that the Announcement has ended)

I wouldn't trust anyone on the Intercom on the server these days 😂

New Character: Jack Kullman 

Tactical Response Officer & Security Agent

Agent S. Ulgrin (Foundational Security Agent) 

I gotta say that we can just use TTS instead of people transmitting their voices because as some people replied in this thread: handling voices in GMod is just a no go in terms of performance.

If someone is familiar with the /vox command from classic Half-Life RP servers then that's what I mean by TTS.

I can implement it with TTS, and I like the idea.

So +1 from me.

Edited by TomSa

Neutral maybe +1 depending

-If only WL administration jobs can use the intercoms thats a +1 from me but if not I do not wish to hear fuckin CBT over the intercom from level 15 IT personnel or that kid who paid harland for level 50 just to mic spam as SA

-Just make sure theres a cooldown

This suggestion is basically intercom system like in SCP SL. We all know how retarded that is if we've played SCP SL or watched SCP SL on youtube.

seal GIF